Prerecorded videos of the tutorials, 1.5 to 2 hours in duration, will debut in a series of parallel live sessions with the tutorial speakers between the 7th and the 10th of July at 4 PM CET/2 PM UTC. In these sessions the tutorials will be played and the speakers will be available for answering questions via chat. Following the playing of the tutorial video, a 30 minute live question and answer (Q&A) session with the tutorial speaker will be held. The live Q&A sessions will be recorded and will be available on the conference website along with the prerecorded tutorials through the end of July. Attendees who register for the tutorials will have access to all of the tutorial materials.
Microwave Atomic Frequency Standards and Clocks
Almost All About Phase Noise
- What is phase noise and amplitude noise. Definitions and principles. Phase noise spectrum, Allan variance and other types of variance. Jitter
- The origin of phase noise in electronic devices. Shot, thermal, additive, parametric, time-like noise and phase-like noise
- Phase noise mechanisms in oscillators, aka the Leeson effect
- Phase noise in analog and digital systems. Frequency synthesis, mixing, quantization noise, aliasing, etc.
- Useful measurement methods
- The architecture of analog and digital instruments
- Common pathologies and pitfalls
- Examples from laboratory practice